Wow, I am so happy that Afros and Love Songs has reached 50 posts! I truly enjoy writing this blog and I am grateful to everyone that takes the time to stop by. Not only is this the 6th month Afros and Love Songs has been up, in a couple of weeks I will be turning 25, which to me is the peak of being a 20-something. These last few years I have learned tons and held on to somethings so much that they have become my truths.
1. God is good.
2. You never stop needing your parents.
3. This is a great age to cultivate friendships.
4. I’ll probably debate getting a second degree for a bit longer, and that’s okay.
5. Coffee (especially straight black coffee) is always good at any time of the day.
6. If I really want to read a book I have to schedule time in my planner.
7. Drinking and driving is dumb, drinking and driving while under 21 is even dumber.
8. Cable is not necessary.
9. All data plans should be unlimited. Seriously.
10. If I don’t start soon I will never learn how to play the acoustic guitar.
11. I am enough.
12. We have to support our kids.
13. There is a YouTube video for everything.
14. No really, if something breaks on your car just YouTube it to see if it’s an easy fix.
15. Water is actually good.
16. It feels great buying your own stuff. Except if you spend all your money and don’t have any saved.
17. Faith is not easy but well worth the risk.
18. Heartbreak sucks.
19. But, heartbreak is not the end of the world.
20. Our experiences shape and mold us and let us know our limits.
21. We should be with someone that loves our best.
22. Expect greatness out of yourself.
23. Being young and successful is very demanding, but double rewarding.
24. Doing things alone is sometimes more fun.
25. My birthdays are important to me and I always have the best time.
26. Being embarrassed doesn’t affect me the same way. I recover a whole lot faster.
27. Although I work hard, sometimes I stay late because I don’t feel like driving home.
28. It’s important to move into a place you want to be, not whatever is available.
29. I honestly value wise counsel.
30. Art will and has always been a part of my life.
31. It’s never too late to change your taste in music (writing this as I listen to James Blake).
32. Do the things that are important to you.
33. Honest conversations about sex or important.
34. Detroit is reviving itself in a beautiful and amazing way. Despite moving to the ‘burbs I will still correct people that talk about my city.
35. I’m super emotional and that’s okay.
36. There is nothing wrong with asking questions.
37. Nivea hand, face, and body cream is a necessity. Your hands will thank you during these cold winter months to come.
38. Our prayers are for other people.
39. Forever 21 has the cutest and cheapest jewelry. It’s cute but will break within a week. Low key, I feel old going in there sometimes.
40. I used to hate thrift stores as a kid, now I know that it’s the best place to shop. (I’m looking at you Second Hand Rose)
41. Love is possible.
42. It won’t be like this always, there will be better days.
43. Losing someone close feels like the world is caving in, but it’s not. Healing is possible.
44. I have enough clothes, and I have something to wear. I just don’t want to wear what I have.
45. I think I am falling out of love with Taco Bell.
46. Writing is one of my favorite things in the world. The more I write the happier I feel.
47. I’m very busy but, I don’t mind.
48. I love who I am and who I am becoming.
49. Burnout is real and unhealthy. Self care is important.
50. My expectations for 25 are high. I’m going to do great things.
If you are a 20-something and want to add please comment below. ALSO, if you have not already done so, please subscribe!!!